Pages

18 April 2011

Taste of Summer

I've been counting down the days 'til summer for a long time.

I can taste it now even though it hasn't technically arrived yet.

I'm proclaiming this summer to be the summer of enjoyment. It will be the first summer in five years where I won't be sick and pregnant or have a nursing baby to schedule around. Not that I don't love those things (at least the newborn baby aspect), but I can hardly wait to bask in the luxury of freedom with our little guys.  

I have summer bucket lists swimming around in my head and heaps of activities I'd like to fill our mornings with.

But what I'm looking forward to the most are days like we had over the weekend. Spending hours outside in our yard with bare feet. Catching the sparkles in Blake's eyes when his dad teaches him how to catch and hit and ride his bike. Performing roundoffs and headstands in our grass to invoke adorable baby giggles. Taking strolls around the block and joining up with other neighbor kids who are playing in their yards.

It's official. This weekend's taste of warmth confirmed to me how much I'm going to love this summer.





Blake insists on studying his Disneyland (technically California Adventure) park guide every time he rides in the stroller. The guide has been zipped in the stroller pocket ever since our visit, and has been given a lot of love (and wear and tear).


The neighborhood kids enjoyed pointing out their favorite rides on the map as well, although Blake was hesitant to let it out of his hands.

Another summer event I'm looking forward to is Blake being able to release some of his energy outside. He had no problem initiating a three block run back to our house. Maybe, just maybe, all of that exertion will produce some good naps.

Welcome, impending summer. So far, I love you.


5 comments:

  1. I would like to inform you, Nashy #1, that it SNOWED here in Michigan this morning.

    And I also have a question -- is it any less exciting going through everything that is so exciting with number 1, a second time around?

    Sorry, I'm not explaining myself well. Is it any less exciting, for example, teaching Nashy #2 how to ride a bike after you've already taught Blake? Things like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Amen to paragraph 3!

    2. What a beautiful yard you have!

    3. Love that Blake still utilizes that map. With some good imagination he can re-live that place over and over again!

    4. Happy early Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that is so funny about the map. I didn't know that. That kid is so funny about his routines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I did it again. That last one was me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Blake clinging to the map....it's so cute what kids treasurer and it reminds us about the smaller things

    ReplyDelete