Pages

05 April 2011

Reunited

We couldn't avoid our friends that we've been waiting to see for so long all weekend. So, we took our chances with the boys being sick and came home to spend time with them on their last night in town.

Jimmy was one of our best friends in college. He was Troy's roommate and still likes to take credit for hooking us up. I remember one of the first weekends of school when Troy went out of town for a funeral. Jimmy and I dropped him off at the airport, and Jimmy immediately turned to me and said, "I know someone who likes you." It wasn't obvious at all after that comment...

After all these years, Jimmy and Troy are still buddies.

It was hard not to reminisce about the good ol' days during his visit. I think that year of college was one of the best years of our lives. Memories started flooding in; like how we used to stay up late watching Strongbad clips. Or how we'd pile into a few cars and go bowling every Thursday night, and secretly point out how Troy hiked up his right pant leg every time he stepped up to bowl. Or how Troy and Jimmy would attempt to write songs on their guitars. Or the time Jimmy gave Troy a rug burn on his face from wrestling with him on the carpet. Or when the three of us went to see one of the Harry Potter movies, and Troy and Jimmy traumatized me by pretending to be spiders the whole way home.

We remembered the weekend that we spontaneously drove to Boston and saw the sights when it was 0° outside.

And then we got stuck on the way home for three hours behind a huge crash. We got out of the van and had a snowball fight in the middle of the freeway.

Then there were the countless spring break memories, where we again piled into a van and drove to Florida through the night. Troy likes to point out that everyone here looks normal except for me.

I had some pretty crazy hairstyles back then, so Troy and Jimmy made a sport out of taking all of the bobby pins out of my hair.

Then there were the every day ongoings back at our apartments. I have no idea what was going on here.

I could go on and on. There are so many great memories from that year, but one of my favorite memories was walking into their apartment and finding Troy and Jimmy like this:
Instead of doing homework, they would play online Euchre and would cheat by playing on the same team. (Those computers and the fact that I had to scan these pictures is making me feel ancient.)

Those days seem like a lifetime ago. We haven't seen Jimmy since our wedding five years ago.

We were long overdue for some catching up. We also got to meet Jimmy's girlfriend, Serenity.

And it felt like we picked up right where we left off. We loved being reunited with both our friends and our memories.

Hopefully, if they get sick, they'll still think it was worth it to hang out with us.


4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I LOVED that trip down memory lane. That was a fun year... Wish I could have seen Jimmy! He looks the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to see the photos of you guys back in the day! More! More! More!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE seeing all the old pictures of you guys! I think you're laughing in every single one-- how fun. What fun college trips too! Boston? Florida? Awesome! That's the nice thing about being further east in the country is that you're closer to so many more cities. In the west everything is so spread out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! We often wonder what Jimmy is up to, and sometimes get updates from Chris and Hilary. We should totally do a living center reunion someday :)

    ReplyDelete