Pages

08 April 2011

Book Love

We love books.

Blake has taken a special interest in reading books over the last few months. He will sit on my lap for up to an hour with his attention completely focused on story after story. I look forward to our special daily reading time while Nash is napping. It has become one of my favorite parts of the day.

We have frequented the library to keep our stack of books fresh. I have found that we have greater success when I put books on hold in advance. It is difficult to thumb through books when Nash immediately darts for the movie section and pulls dvds off the shelves, and Blake inevitably goes for the "catalog only" computer. 

Our library happens to be located across the street from our neighborhood, which makes it convenient to keep our supply of books rotating. Sometimes we even walk there when it's nice out (that hasn't happened for a while).

Some of our favorite recent finds are Snowmen all Year by Caralyn Buehner, Ten on the Sled by Kim Norman, The Scrubbly Bubbly Car Wash by Irene O'Garden, Baby Shoes by Dashka Slater, The Thingamabob by Il Sung Na, and Jibberwillies at Night by Rachel Vail. We've also been on a Laura Numeroff kick. We have renewed the books 10-Step Guide to Living With Your Monster, If you Give a Pig a Pancake, and What Mommies Do Best over and over.

We have also gone to weekly storytime at the library ever since Blake could barely walk. I love that program. We did more songs and finger plays when he was a toddler, but now we enjoy going to the preschool storytime. The teacher always makes it so fun and interactive and Blake often comes home singing the songs we learn. He shies away from participation while we are there, but once we are home, he recites every word. I feel lucky to have such a great resource in our neck of the wood.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! Our library is right down the street too and we visit weekly, but Kylie is not a fan of storytime AT ALL. She keeps her hands over her eyes the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libraries are so feel-good, aren't they? I always put books on hold too. It's a necessity!! Otherwise random books and movies just start getting piled in the stroller. I will be putting your recommendations on hold this week! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! I love that Blake will sit for OVER AN HOUR! Gives me hope that one day my girls will sit through an entire book :) Preschool story time looks fun! Hopefully it made him feel better about the jerks who wouldn't share the clock with such a cute little boy.

    ReplyDelete