Pages

16 June 2011

Personalities

I have been thinking about the differences in Blake and Nash's personalities. Even at three and one, I am already surprised at the roles they are each taking on.

I don't like to label them. We have to be careful about calling Blake the cautious one and Nash the daring one. Because if they are labeled this early on (even if the labels are accurate), I worry that they will always attach themselves to those labels. If Blake is regularly labeled "hesitant," maybe he won't take on certain challenges or opportunities to be brave later in life.

But I am still amused by Blake and Nash's stark differences even at their young ages.

My thought process was triggered over the weekend when we were all out in our backyard. Troy and I were on the hammock, trying to have a conversation. Blake repeatedly wedged himself in between the two of us, exclaiming things like "Mom, look at this," "Look at me," "Watch me throw the basketball," "Can we snuggle?" "What time is it?" 

Nash, on the other hand, was on the other side of the yard, happily entertaining himself by climbing in and out of his play car. He never glanced our way and seemed unfazed that Blake was hogging all of the attention.

Another example of personality differences was when Blake had a million opinions about our park outing. He insisted on wearing his rubber boots with shorts, told me which streets to take, and asked every step of the way what was next on the agenda.

Nash, however, was just happy to be included in the outing. Obviously he has a disadvantage with his limited vocabulary, but he really demands very little from me.



Blake ensured even more attention when he exhausted our supply of extra shorts and begged to wear one boot and one sandal on the walk back home. I didn't even put up a fight since staying classy wasn't really an option at that point. Nash never batted an eye at the number of times we were in and out of the bathroom, being pulled away from the fun playground.


These types of situations are pretty commonplace. Blake demands attention while Nash is content in the background.

It makes me wonder; are their differences related to being the first child versus the second child? Is there a gap in parental attention because Blake can communicate more? Or do they simply have different needs because of their unique personalities?

Sidenote: There have been eight consecutive posts without these little faces. That has got to be some sort of record for me! Did you miss them (mom)? There will be plenty more coming.


3 comments:

  1. I see many similarities in my own kids. Hendrix is a very "go with the flow" kind of kid. (but he's getting more of an opinion, that's for sure!) and I've always heard that third babies are a dream-- also true with my kids.
    It's sure fun to see then turning into little people with their own little personalities! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, pictures of the cute boys (not that the cruise pictures weren't fun). As Nash gets older I see how different their personalities are. He loves watching Blake and following him around. Hmmm, reminds me of my own two kids. The older one needed structure and constant activity, where as the second one was laid back and much quieter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I'm so glad you took a picture of pantless Blake with mis-matched shoes. I loved that whole thing.

    It's so funny to see personalities and differences develop. It's interesting you point out age and communication skills. I don't see that side since my girls are the same age, but I still wonder if Jenna's quieter BECAUSE Lucy's louder or things like that.

    Also, hooray for new pictures of the boys! (aka eye candy for my girls). Are you sick of me telling you how much they love them yet? Seriously today Jenna bumped her head and came crying to my lap and in between sobs said, "Nash. Nash." I opened your blog and she was instantly quelled. The crush lives on!

    ReplyDelete