Pages

28 June 2011

Carnies

Every year, our town puts on a big four day festival complete with carnival rides, a parade, concerts, and fireworks each night. We have always seemed to miss out on this event for one reason or another. 

It's a shame, because I love stuff like this.

It feels so magic to me when the whole town comes out. I love how our streets are packed with cars. I love running into a hundred familiar faces. I love getting to experience the excitement with my own children, who are soaking in the bright carnival atmosphere and creating their own memories. It reminds me of the summer celebrations we had in my hometown.


I was really happy that Blake got swept up in the excitement of the whole ordeal. Especially since someone else in our family despises these types of events.

I tried to let Nash enjoy some of the rides but he wasn't having it.

So, I walked Nash back home to spend some quality time with that un-festive member of our family (who shall remain nameless). Blake begged to go on more rides, so the two of us went back and spent the whole night at the carnival. We had the best time.

Blake came up with a new "I'm brave" face after riding on the carousel bench. He didn't show quite the same emotion after going on the mini rollercoaster. 

He enjoyed plenty of other rides that didn't require as much risk though.


He was brave enough to try the ferris wheel and endure the long line leading up to it. And as luck would have it, Blake munched on his popcorn in the most amazing light while we were waiting in line. I think a few people may have been annoyed that we were holding up the progression, but I could not resist that light.



I loved circling around the ferris wheel with my arm around my boy and our feet dangling off the edge.

We lucked out once again when we caught a beautiful sunset on the very top of the ferris wheel.

Another weekend festivity was the local parade. I kind of missed the dress-your-child-in-patriotic-apparel memo. My creative friend Bre made all of her children matching shirts.

Sweet Bella was a little pixie balancing on her mom's hands. Did I mention that her bow and shirt were handmade? Wow.

The celebrations would not be complete without several nights of fireworks. We live close enough to where they launch the display that we could sit in our own front yard and enjoy. While everyone else was frantically trying to find a parking spot and walk over to the park, we relaxed at home with our sparklers.



We had an amazing view of the fireworks. A perfect ending to days of fun and festivity.


4 comments:

  1. Great pics! I love how colorful they all are. I think it's kind of fun how it ended up being a one on one for you and Blake.

    Silly Utards though...did you not get the memo that Fourth of July is THIS weekend???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your boys are so adorable. What fun it looks like you guys have in Utah. Sadly here in the desert, we do all we can to entertain ourselves indoors. The 117 degree heat is just killer. I am so jealous of your weather (maybe only this time a year since the snow also doesn't look like fun)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not going to lie, missing out on Fourth of July celebrations is one thing that really makes me sad I'm not in the U.S.!

    At least I feel festive just looking at your blog :)

    Also, it ended up working out really well, I bet it was nice for Blake to get some undivided mommy attention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Linds, your pictures are just getting better and better! Is it more experience? The new lens? Either way, I'm so impressed! (I also love the light you captured in line at the ferris wheel--beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete