Pages

03 June 2011

Five

Five years ago today, we embarked on the best journey. It hasn't been the easiest journey. We certainly have our differences. But those differences make us more compatible and keep our lives interesting. I am so thankful for the journey that led us to where we are today.

There are a million things I love about Troy, but I'll narrow the list down to ten.

1. He is a hard worker. He could have chosen a career where he wouldn't have had to work as many hours or travel as much. But he willingly sacrifices his time and abilities so that I can stay home and take care of our children. He never complains when his alarm clock goes off in the wee hours of the morning. He goes above and beyond in his work responsibilities. I never have to worry about him slacking off or not providing for us. He carries his work ethic into his church responsibilities as well, which I admire.

2. He has really beautiful ice blue eyes. He passed that trait on to our children which I love him even more for.

3. He is intelligent. He can ace written tests with ease and he seems to know something about every subject. The wheels are constantly turning in his head (usually with numbers). He always knows what is going on in world news and politics and sports. If I ever have a question about those things, he can give me answer off the top of his head.

4. He can talk and connect with anyone. It doesn't matter who they are or what differences they have; Troy can always find common ground. He can push past the awkward chitchat and discover the essence of the other person and what makes him or her tick. He is the best sidekick to have when meeting new people (especially because I am much more shy).

5. He won't admit it, but he has a really good voice. I like sitting next to him at church and hearing him nail the tenor line of any hymn.

6. He can calm me down. I tend to overreact when things don't go as planned, and he always brings perspective into those situations. Also, to this day, I cannot get poked with a needle without him holding my hand. He looks into my eyes and calmly talks to distract me. He is the only one that has ever been able to help me with my extreme aversion to needles.

7. He insists that I have some time away from my duties at home. He takes over so that I can go grocery shopping without the boys or go to a yoga class or have a girls' night. He knows that giving me time away replenishes and fulfills me. He is also always suggesting that I take a trip to Arizona or Michigan with the boys, even if he can't come along.

8. Troy makes me laugh. He does the funniest hillbilly impersonation. He is really quick-witted and is always coming up with funny one-liners.

9. He is a great father. Not because he has loads of patience or dedicates every spare moment to our children, but because he adores them in a way that only a father could, and the boys adore him right back.

10. He is my best friend. We can still talk for hours (if we aren't exhausted). No one understands me like he does. I can go from giddiness to drama in a matter of seconds and he still loves me. He listens to what I have to say even if it means hearing the mundane details of day to day happenings. 

I am so thankful that a million different little decisions led us to meet, to date, to marry, and to work together and support each other for eternity. Happy Anniversary!


3 comments:

  1. it's been fun to get to know troy better (since i've never even met him!) you guys are so cute. happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary Nashy and Troy! I loved loved LOVED reading this post about why you love him and hearing all the things you respect and admire about your husband. He sounds like a good man, I wish I knew him better. Though I do remember #4 from that one time many moons ago when he met the Grandville gang and we went ice skating downtown :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this list. I love hearing about happy marriages. Happy anniversary!

    P.S. Are you back yet? I think my girls are going to explode for how much they miss Blake and Nash.

    ReplyDelete