Pages

20 June 2011

All About Dad

Troy came home from work one day last week with an article he saved from the Wall Street Journal. It featured the differences between how mothers and fathers parent and the benefits that result from each parenting style.

The article described verbatim how Troy and I each respond to parenting situations. He is the one who distracts and I am the one who identifies feelings.
According to this article, both styles are needed to develop different sets of skills in children. The influence of a father is monumental.

I am so grateful for the father of my children who sacrifices so much for us. For the good example his father was and is to him. And for my own father who taught me to be hard working and confident.

Blake and I made cards to show our appreciation to the three wonderful fathers in our lives.

Blake answered some questions about his dad and his grandpas like he did for me on Mother's Day. I love three year old responses.


The biggest undertaking of Father's Day festivities was making individual pies for all of the fathers at church. Our Primary Presidency was in charge of coming up with a gift, and we were crazy enough to get together and assemble 70 individual pies. We each baked a tray right before church so that we could serve them warm during the third hour.

We baked apple, peach, blueberry, and cherry pies, and the color of the lids corresponded to what type of pie was in each jar. Talk about a treat!
It was worth the effort; to celebrate the influence and the dedication that fathers relentlessly give.

I couldn't think of a better dad for our sweet boys. We adore him.
(April 2010)


3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with that article. Sometimes I'll think that Tony is being too harsh with Lucy and then remind myself that she needs the balance of our styles. Tony being harsh it quite mild, but compared to my admitted babying her, I know she needs it. And those pies-awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love most things on this post as always but my fave is those cute shirt/tie cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting article, I'm glad you linked it. And it's good to see the positive benefits of both mothering and fathering (I'll quit telling Adam to be so careful when he's rough-housing with the girls). CUTE cards! And I was mega impressed with the pies at church! Leave it to you... Adam was so excited that it was even still warm. Well done, primary, well done.

    ReplyDelete