Pages

16 December 2010

The Letter C

I finally got my act together a few months ago and started a preschool co-op with some other moms. We rotate whose home we go to and who teaches within our group. I am so grateful for our junior preschool because I have been wanting to incorporate more structured learning activities with Blake for a long time, but he isn't quite old enough for regular preschool yet (and I'm not ready for that day).

It's so nice to have a weekly preschool date on the calendar in advance because my pre-mom aspirations of creating daily lesson plans hasn't really panned out the way I thought it would. I was a little naive in thinking that I'd have all this time to prepare "weekly themes," but then we threw another child in the mix and my plans went out the window.

Not that I don't plan some daily activities besides free play, but if I have a spare hour, you better believe that I fill it with something that fills me and not with curriculum planning. It's harder than I thought it would be to squeeze in learning activities for my children when no one is standing over my shoulder giving me a pass or fail grade. But that doesn't mean that I don't crave a little more planned-in-advance structure.

So, I was really happy to start a preschool where I couldn't make excuses for my lack of preparation. Blake has really benefited from more social interaction, and I love to see the ideas that the other teachers (moms) come up with. We keep the activities simple for these little 3 and 4 year olds, but I come away each week feeling so satisfied that I am doing something to stimulate Blake's development.

It was my turn to teach and host this week. I have to admit that I got a little giddy when I pulled out my dusty college textbooks and old lesson plans to compile the curriculum. We danced, balanced beanbags, acted out a story, and solved "letter C" riddles.

We crafted a snowman with Circles by placing Cotton balls on Contact Paper.

Their favorite part, inevitably, was the snack. Reindeer (Comet if you will) PB&J's; it doesn't get much better than that!


3 comments:

  1. Austin would like to attend! Well I guess we have a few years before we get accepted into your program...I wish we lived that close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of miss doing these. I liked planning lessons for this age too! Looks like a great lesson. Loved the snack!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative of you! I also liked how you said you spend your free time doing things that fill you. What a perfect description. That's exactly what i crave during my free time too and I always come back to motherhood so much more edified when I've fed my soul.

    ReplyDelete