Pages

05 November 2010

Bountiful

I have been on a quest to find a large print or painting of the Bountiful Temple ever since we were married there almost five years ago. I have never found one that was just right. I finally decided that maybe I could play around and come up with my own print. I am a very unschooled and inexperienced photographer but I figured that if I didn't capture exactly what I wanted, at least I wasn't paying for it! 

For the last few months I have been trying squeeze in a trip to the temple while the sky was clear and the light was just right - not an easy feat when the boys nap until dark most days. When they both woke up early on Sunday and the sky was perfect and the light was perfect and the trees were absolutely colored to perfection, I loaded them up as fast as possible to catch that evening light. Troy was sweet to walk them around and around the temple while I shot away (and as a side note, I gave myself a little pat on the back for shooting completely in manual mode and finally making the switch to shoot in raw - why didn't I do that before?). 

The fall ambiance was gorgeous. Now I can't decide which one I'll enlarge. I'm leaning towards a black and white print for the room I'm going to put it in. I'm loving some of the lines and shadows captured in a few shots. Now if only my little ones would hold still so I could practice more on them.















8 comments:

  1. great pictures! I love manual mode but I have not found my love for raw. I don't have a great program to use for it so it is just such a hassel to transfer the images into jpeg. Any suggestions of a good one other then photoshop or something really expensive? I think cameras are so fun and it is fun to practice on a great object that isn't on the move ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are BEAUTIFUL!!! Isn't manual fun!? I can't stand to not use it anymore. When I do sessions with children I will sometimes try to use aperture priority instead and I just can't do it. I love manual, even with moving targets.

    I hope you don't mind me butting in here Heather, but have you looked into Lightroom? I just bought a copy of the newest version off Amazon for a little over $200. I know that is sort of pricey, but with all that Lightroom allows you to do, including easily converting raw images to jpg... I think it is totally worth it. It is quickly replacing Photoshop as my most used computer program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3, 5, 6, and the third to the last are my favorites. They all turned out great. A girl in my ward enlarged a photo of the temple that she took herself, and I love it. Not onlly is it beautiful, but it's original. No one else will have the same one. Well, unless steal from your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you should number the pictures so people can give feedback. I like the first two! Making the move to raw, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT job Nashy! I love the silhouette shots!

    And I'm so proud of you for making the switch to manual and raw. Both those things really give you so much more control don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! I love them. My favorites are 3rd, 5th and 6th from top and 3rd and 4th from bottom. I can see how it would be hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weird-I commented before I read the others so I wouldn't forget mine and Steph wrote the same ones as me.

    ReplyDelete