Pages

25 June 2010

Texture

A Scene From Last Weekend
Jorden (my brother): Enters family room, curiously eyes the wall.
Lindsey: With excitement. Look what I made a few days ago! Doesn't it add so much texture to the room?
Jorden: Uh, I guess. What is it?
Lindsey: It's a wreath made out of book pages!
Jorden: Examines the project more closely. What book did you tear up?
Lindsey: Emotional Intelligence. It was just in a box in the basement. I didn't think we would miss it too much.
Jorden: Interesting.

The Next Morning
Jorden: Wakes up from sleeping on the couch, joins us for breakfast. With sarcasm. I woke up this morning and something was different. I just felt happier. Then I realized that my state of mind was due to the texture in the room!
Lindsey: Rolls eyes. Ha ha, very funny Jo.
Jorden: Continues to make wise cracks about the addition of texture throughout the weekend.

Though I may be made fun of, I am certainly enjoying the addition of texture in the room.

I also wanted to add a little pop to my plain white lamp shades.

They looked like this for the last year or so (this was the only picture I could find). The ribbons were fun and added some color, but I got sick of the "cutesy" look and wanted something a little more sophisticated.

So, I took the ribbons off and lined the shades with burlap. Here is a close up of, you guessed it, more texture.


I used the lighted burlap I could find and added bias tape around the edges to create a straight line.


I think that everyone could use a little texture in their lives.


7 comments:

  1. I'm still laughing because (A) I was there when you were so proud of your "texture" and (B) that's what Jorden said verbatim. Hope Troy likes/notices the new texture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made one of those wreaths. Except I used a square back so it wasn't really a wreath. It is interesting, I get some fun comments from people when they see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Jorden has always made me laugh. I love the new laundry room, although I have to say, it was aleady the nicest, and tidiest looking laundry room I've ever seen. And I definitely never thought of of your house as looking "90's." It's very modern looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wreath is darling! What a creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you-- I LOVE texture!! It's always the thing I'm drawn to photograph (what a pair we'll make at the workshop this week, eh?). The wreath looks fantastic, as do the lamps! Can I come over and take a slow tour of your house sometime so I can oooh and ahhh over all the details? I love your style!

    ReplyDelete