Pages

13 June 2010

eDad

I have been so grateful to be able to use Skype with Troy while he has been away. I don't want the boys to forget him because five weeks is a long time in their lives. We did the math and figured out that by the end of this trip and including Troy's other recent business trips, he will have missed 1/3 of Nash's life so far! So, we use Skype before the boys go to bed some nights so that Troy can still be a part of all the mayhem.

Hopefully having an eDad is a good enough substitution for the real thing. Although I don't think Blake will be forgetting Troy any time soon with his amazing ability to recall details. Certain things trigger Blake's memory with his dad. For example, when he spotted the vegetable oil in the pantry, he exclaimed, "Oh that! Make waffles with Dada!" Or when we went to get his hair cut, he remembered that he had gotten an orange sucker with his dad the last time they went on a haircut date together. Every time he plays with his kitchen mixer, he points to the compartment where Dada refilled the batteries. And what pulls on my heartstrings the most is every night when I put him to bed, he asks for Dada to "sing a song and kiss a lip," and then quickly adds, "no, Dada's at work in York."

We have three weeks down and two weeks to go. I am so happy that my parents are coming into town for a convention this week because single parenthood is starting to wear on me.


6 comments:

  1. Oh man, Nashy #1, I feel for you. I can't imagine how hard being a mom is, let alone being a quasi-single mom.

    If it's any comfort, my dad worked a TON when I was little and I don't think I came out of it any worse for the wear. My mom might have though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Modern technology is great! I love that Nash is staring intently at the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that IS a good memory! How fun that you can still "see" each other and hear his voice. Five weeks is so long... I think you're amazing for pulling it off. I know your parents are coming, but please let me know if there's anything I can do to help! I can bring dinner to you AND Janice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one glad that your parents are coming to visit this week! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that picture and I love how Nash is watching as well. I just got caught up on your blog after being gone for 2 weeks. Love all the pictures! Your boys are so adorable. Looks like you had so much fun in New York. Some of those pictures could be postcards! We have to have a phone date and catch up!

    ReplyDelete