Pages

10 February 2010

I Only Cried Once

Today was my first day at home alone with our two children. I usually don't like to share such graphic details, but as I look back upon how the day's events unfolded, I am sure that my first day will be a source of humor in days (maybe weeks) to come.

The morning battle began when Blake wanted crackers and cheese for breakfast. His dad gave in and let him have cheese and crackers yesterday, but I didn't want to start a trend. Blake had a major meltdown as he carried the block of cheese that he snuck out of the fridge around the kitchen. After explaining to my two-year-old 50 times that cheese and crackers were only for snacks and lunches, and giving him the options of cereal, yogurt, or bananas, he finally accepted the fruit loops I offered him.

That's when the blow-outs started. Blake has been taking amoxicillin for his ear infection, which leads to the most disastrous, up-the-back, dirty, messy diapers imaginable. He began chanting "wet back" over and over, but wouldn't let me take him out of his booster seat until he was completely satisfied with the amount of fruit loops and peanut-butter toast on his plate.

I cleaned up that disaster and started the first round of laundry and bathing. I thought it was pretty impressive that both Blake and I were bathed and showered by 9am. Our angel baby slept through it all. At 10am Blake started begging for pancakes. I don't just make him pancakes at his beckon call, but there were some leftover pancakes in the fridge that I heated up for him. Thus began blow-out #2, and another round of laundry and bathing.

Still keeping my cool, I then brought out a fun project for Blake. I bought him a little Valentine's mailbox several weeks ago knowing how much he loves to receive mail. My plan was to leave him little Valentine's cards and treats in the box throughout February, but having our baby early slightly altered that plan. I let him decorate the box with stickers and color some Valentine's. I fed the baby while he was busy with the stickers.

The next ten minutes were when things really picked up. Nash projectile spit-up all over me, soaking both his and my clothing. I took him upstairs to take care of that mess. At the exact same time, Blake started in again about wanting cheese and crackers. I heard the fridge open and shut downstairs. I started to worry when I heard Blake dragging the chair across the floor, so I abandoned the wet baby to tend to my whining two-year-old. I found him armed with the block of cheese and a sharp knife that he had retrieved out of the dishwasher. He was sliding the chair to the pantry to obtain the crackers. That was the point when I started to cry. I was also topless because I was half-way through changing my wet clothes. Blake looked at me lovingly, as tears rolled down my cheeks, and said, "Mama, sad." "Mama, tissue." He then got a little worried about my immodesty, and started repeating, "Mama, clothes! Mama, clothes on!"

We endured one more blow-out after I finally got Blake settled with his cheese and crackers. It was such a relief when nap time rolled around. I know it will get easier, but things didn't run quite as smooth as I had hoped on our first day alone. Tonight will be Troy's turn to handle both of our children while I teach yoga. Hopefully things will go better for him.



9 comments:

  1. No shame in crying, Nashy #1. You are a wonderful mother and I can only imagine how HARD it must be to handle two little boys. Things will only get better (says the girl who can barely handle her new puppy)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Those litte word collages on the side are so cool!)

    My post for first day with two kids alone would have been "I only wanted to scream once, I mean five times". You did good and I am so super impressed you are teaching tonight. It's true though, it does get better. Everyone told me that the first year is the hardest. That seems like a long time but it does go by fast and each month you learn more and more and do better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounded like an amazing first day for having both kids on your own for the first time! Serious kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw I'm sorry! I have to admit that as I read your post, I laughed a few times, so I'm sure that you will eventually too! Hopefully Blake's yucky diaper phase will end soon-- that should make things at least a little easier for ya. Good luck! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that you had such a bad first day. I had to laugh a little, not at you, but because I have gone through most of what you have, too. I think it is just part of being a mom. My theory is that other people have survived it, so I should be able to, too.

    If you want something to chuckle at yourself...Grant decided to grab a knife to cut an apple when we had a computer repair person at our house. I didn't notice, he did. He was like "Umm...is your kid supposed to have that big knife there?" I felt like such a horrible mom. I've been trying much harder to keep the knives out of his reach now...

    Good luck with everything, and hopefully tomorrow will go smoother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new beautiful boy, and I love the name! I have to admit I thought I was the most patient Mommy in the world when I had Stephen, then Bentley came along and the are two crazy boys and totally different. I do not think I am the most patient Mommy anymore:) Two boys changes your life. But when they become best friends you will be so happy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say, the story didn't get any less funny the second time around. I'm sorry it was such a rough day, but I do appreciate you cheering my day up with sharing...

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I soooooo know how you feel. I have often ditched Emma to check on or stop Jonathan, sometimes in the middle of feeding. Did I catch at the end of that post that you are going to teach Yoga already?! WOW! You must be doing GREAT!! Try to enjoy your kids, I often recite to myself "I love my kids, I love my kids, I love my kids." Sometimes it helps :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you had such a rough day but I loved the story and I'm glad you can find the humor in it as well. Steph told me that story that night on the phone and we were laughing so hard. You're doing great Linds. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete