Pages

28 April 2009

Brain Stimulating

After Blake's breakthrough with the pretzel/pretzel connection, I decided to stimulate his brain more and make him a matching game. I glued little zoo animals onto cardstock and laminated them for durability.

We don't use the animal cards as a memory game quite yet. Blake is smart but he doesn't understand the concepts of rules and turn taking. However, if I put out two or three cards face up, he can find the matching cards and place them on top of the originals.

Also stimulating to Blake, though maybe not so much in the same way, is his new little corner. We removed a couch cushion so that he could climb onto the couch by himself without begging and whining, which was a frequent occurrence. He uses the cushion as a stairway to the couch.

The cushion now remains permanently on the ground because Blake spends the majority of his time in the little empty section of the couch. He gathers up all of his favorite things, and sits there and looks at books. Then he gets wound up and dive-bombs his body onto the remaining cushions. The floor is now padded with the throw pillows that used to be on the couch, because all of the rolling around often leads to falls. Blake also uses the cushion next to the hole as a little bouncy trampoline. Our couch has turned into Blake's personal jungle gym. If I ever try to put the cushion back where it belongs, Blake comes unglued.

Lastly, a shout-out to my missionary brother Jorden, who will be coming home in 8 short weeks, and will meet his nephew for the first time. Happy 21st Birthday!


7 comments:

  1. How stinkin' cute was that post. Love his little place on the couch and that he brings his stuff there. Oh he is such a toddler - I love it. I can't believe Jordan comes home SO soon. Happy Birthday to the missionary in Korea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linds--You makes such awesome things. It really inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man... I'll take this as a warning never to give Thad anything I don't want to be able to take back hahaha. We have the same curious george! And it feels like Jo has been gone FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Blake found his own special space! Love the birthday sign for my favorite missionary too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go with the matching cards! Love that idea. I can't believe Jo is going to meet Blake for the first time, so weird! It will be love at first sight for both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a great idea! You are so creative :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I should make some for Grant.

    ReplyDelete