Pages

09 April 2009

Best Friends Forever

As I mentioned in a previous post, my BFF's Stephanie and Kristen spent some time with us. Kristen actually lives an hour away from me, but I don't get to see her that often. Her sister, Steph, flew all the way from Michigan to spend a week with family and friends. Kristen didn't that know her sister and niece Skyler were coming at all.

We surprised her on April Fool's Day. We showed up at Kristen's office, claiming that her 6-year-old cousin had an April Fool's Day joke to play on her (the cousin wasn't even there but we had to think of an excuse to have the video camera out), and in walked Steph and Skyler. It was a really fun surprise. Check out Kristen's high-pitched reaction:

We spent the week doing the things I love the most; going to girls' nights with dinner and a movie, watching General Conference, going to the Mount Timpanogos temple together, taking walks with our strollers, playing games, watching the NCAA basketball finals games, shopping, having late night gab sessions, making fun of cheesy movies, chasing after our little kiddos, and of course, laughing so hard that it hurt.

Blake loved having a little friend to follow around and play with. Blake and Skyler played pretty well together despite the one year age gap. They often mimicked each other; which was funny until Skyler mimicked Blake crying and Blake picked up on Skyler's preference for a milk-only diet.

Blake warmed up to Kristen like no other. He is not a cuddly boy, and yet he walked right past us and up to Kristen, begged to sit on her lap, and cuddled with her for long periods of time. I wish her magic charm would rub off on us.

See how much he loves Kristen? It's not fair! Kristen read the book "I Know the Modern Prophets" to prepare the children for General Conference. We checked it out from our library. Sometimes I forget how rare it is to find books like that at our local library, but Michigan-dweller Steph got a kick out of it.

Blake loved Stephanie too, but I'm afraid that she didn't have quite the same lure as Kristen did.

I am so sad that the week is over already. I had been looking forward to it for so long and it is just not fair that one of my favorite people on this planet has to live 1500 miles away from me. When we were playing Catch Phrase, Troy said to Steph and me, "I'm pretty sure you two share a brain so you can't play on the same team." 

I miss my other half immensely and I'm so glad we got to spend the week together doing the things I love the most. It wasn't perfect of course. We dealt with whiny children, high fevers, missed sleep, getting lost, missed flights, and even some tears, but it was life at its finest and I wouldn't have it any other way.


2 comments:

  1. This made me tear up. I can't believe I'm back home, and my trip is over already. I've looked forward to it for so long. Thanks for being such a great hostess. It was such a great week with you. It takes a special friendship to live across the country from each other, and yet have it be just like old times whenever we're together. I love ya and miss ya already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you guys got to hang out...but I'm SO jealous I wasn't with the 3 of you:( It looks like you had an awesome time though! Can't wait till we can all be together again!

    ReplyDelete