Pages

13 May 2008

Mother's Day

I celebrated my first Mother's Day as a mom. This is what I learned: Mother's Day does not mean Mom's day off. I was hoping my little cutie would sleep through the night or something in celebration of the holiday, but no luck. It's a good thing he is so darn cute! Troy gave me something really sweet for Mother's Day:

That's right, a package of Little Debbie Nutty Bars. Troy and my dad had gone shopping a few days earlier and Troy kept complaining that I didn't give him any gift ideas. He built up the suspense for a few days and told me, "I don't know if you are going to like what I got you, because you didn't give me any ideas!" When I opened the Nutty Bars, I kind of expected there to be something else in the box or something.

I was relieved when Troy told me to look at the front of the box. I searched the label for a clue leading to something else. Troy came over to me with a huge giddy smile on his face and said, "Look, TWIN PACKS! Your favorite!" I was very polite and grateful for Troy's gift even though I was thinking; Nutty Bars? Really? These cost what, two dollars? Well...three dollars since it is a big pack. 

My dad started shaking his head with his head in his hands and said, "I tried to tell him that he had to get you something a little more exciting than nutty bars, but this is what he wanted to get you!" He had a tone in his voice that implied, what a dumb new dad that doesn't know what to get his wife for Mother's Day. I actually was being pretty grateful for the gift and figured it was good that we saved the money. And, I never got a birthday gift from Troy, so this was an improvement from the previous holiday!

After my mom had opened a few gifts from us and my dad, Troy went to get a "card" from Blake. It was really another gift! Blake (Troy) gave me a video camera! It will definitely be my Mother's Day, Anniversary, and Birthday gift for the year, but I am so excited! It is hard to have such an adorable little boy and not have a video camera to capture all of the exciting moments. I have been using the video setting on our digital camera, but the quality is not that great. Troy really surprised me and thought of such a great gift idea all by himself (minus the nutty bar trick).

In the end, I didn't really care about receiving any gifts for Mother's Day. I am just so happy to be a mom and experience the joy that Blake brings to our lives every day. Troy asked me the other day, "Doesn't Blake just make you so happy every day? Don't you think we thought we were pretty happy before, and now, looking back, maybe we weren't as happy as we thought because we didn't know there could be more?" I completely agreed with him and he summed up the emotions I feel every day as a mom. Thank you, Blake, for being such a wonderful addition to our lives!


5 comments:

  1. How funny! Nutty bars are nice, but not too exciting. A video camera is a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy so funny. I love what he did. Happy first Mothers Day. Its so great to have a little baby to bring such happiness and joy to your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious! You guys crack me up! We can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny! I can't wait to see videos with the new camera! When does Troy head back? I'm hoping we can still do lunch or something before you guys leave...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know this! What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete