Pages

12 February 2008

Teaching Days

I went to visit my kindergarten class this morning because they were putting on a patriotic President's Day program. It was so much fun to see them again and yet it seems like eons ago that I was their teacher. It was weird to think that they have just been going to school like normal all this time, only with a new teacher. It really meant a lot to me to talk to some of their parents. A few parents asked me questions about their child's education and if I thought they were ready for 1st grade. It felt really nice to be respected and for my opinion to be of value to them, even though they are all older than me and have had several more children and years of experience. It was a great feeling to be respected in my career and to receive recognition for what I did.

Yet, at the same time, I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything. Even though I may not get the same praise or credit that I did as a teacher, it doesn't matter because I know that there is great value in staying home with Blake. It has been an interesting transition to go from juggling a classroom of kindergartners to focusing all my energy on just one child, and I have to say that I have absolutely loved it.

I am grateful that I got to use my degree and teach for a few years. I think it makes me appreciate more the opportunity to raise a child on those days when I don't receive as much verbal recognition. I'm glad that I could experience both, and who knows, maybe I'll go back someday. For now, an hour at school was enough to last me for awhile, and I'm going to enjoy giving all of my energy to Blake.

My cute class proudly waved their flags as they belted out lyrics.

I made it through our Halloween party when I was 8 months pregnant.


We had a Thanksgiving celebration on my last day of teaching. A couple of weeks later, Blake was born and my formal teaching days were put on the back burner. I have to say though, I have much less discipline problems with my two month old baby than I did with my class of energetic kindergardeners. Becoming a stay-at-home-mom has suited me quite well.


2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way after leaving a job I had been at for five years. It was so weird to do something else, especially something so dramatically different like motherhood. Work is great when you are doing it at the time and you appreciate the experience but yes, motherhood is such an amazing thing. Glad you shared the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max did not look very happy in that picture....It was cute to see all their faces again. Maybe I'll have to go visit too!

    ReplyDelete