Pages

22 March 2013

Gone With the Gold

Nesting is in full swing for me. The last few months of pregnancy are when I feel my best, funny enough. It doesn't quite make up for feeling debilitated the first four months, but I am appreciating the extra surge of energy.

The nesting hasn't transitioned over to any prep for the baby's room like it probably should, but I've been tackling a myriad of other projects.

I have despised the dated gold doorknobs throughout our house ever since we moved in five years ago. We've debated over and over about updating things like that because we are always unsure of how long we're going to be here.

But then another year will pass and we're still here. And we are still cringing at all of the early 90's gems that lie within our home.

So, when Troy gave me the green light to switch out the gold knobs and hinges a few weeks ago, I dropped everything and picked up my power tools pronto.

I replaced 17 doorknobs and 51 hinges. And with the replacement of one last light fixture in the master bedroom, I am happy to pronounce the gold officially gone. When I was finished, Troy asked, "Don't you wish you did this five years ago?" Ugh. It's amazing how much of a difference little upgrades can make.

Of course, while I was at it, I had to sand and paint our front door to cover up the lines from the old hardware. And since I had to paint anyway, I wasn't going to repaint the door white.
DSC_1934

This is the only "before" picture I could find. Cute of Blake, not so cute of the white door and gold hardware.
DSC_0439

Anything painted black just looks so much classier in my book.
DSC_1936

We have big plans for some more updating and freshening up over the next few weeks. We're just praying that this baby stays inside while we live in a bit of chaos.


1 comment:

  1. Don't judge my house full of gold knobs and hinges when you come visit okay? :) And my house is only five years old, not even from the 90's! I can honestly say I had never even noticed what color they were until I read your post. But they are indeed gold. Bet your house looks great though, and I'm super impressed that you went through and replaced that many on your own, especially while pregnant! The door looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete