Pages

18 March 2013

A Few Differences Between My 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Pregnancies

DSC_1954

My 1st pregnancy: The nursery was set up months in advance - perfectly themed from Pottery Barn Kids and complete with a new rocking chair, stacks of children's books, matching furniture, and handmade wall art.

My 2nd pregnancy: I picked up two new sets of sheets and a bumper pad and set up the crib the day before the baby was born.

My 3rd pregnancy: The crib is still sitting unassembled in our basement and the sheets are boxed up. Because let's be honest, the baby won't actually sleep in the crib for a few more months.

···

My 1st pregnancy: I stocked up on a month's supply of diapers, buying only the "sensitive" brand, of course.

My 2nd pregnancy: I happily accepted gifts of diapers from friends that knew I didn't need any more clothes. Brand preferences? Irrelevant.

My 3rd pregnancy: I bought one box of newborn diapers and then proceeded to leave it on the bottom of the shopping cart in the parking lot. I don't know if that's a sign or omen to baby #3, but the box has yet to be replaced.

···

My 1st pregnancy: I couldn't believe how many conversations I had with friends about decorating the nursery.

My 2nd pregnancy: I couldn't believe how many conversations I had with friends about double strollers.

My 3rd pregnancy: I couldn't believe how many conversations I had with friends about minivans.

···

My 1st pregnancy: All of the baby clothes were brand new. I made sure to wash them with Dreft twice before they ever came in contact with my newborn's skin.

My 2nd pregnancy: I bought a few new things to make sure my child felt special, but most of the baby clothes were hand-me-downs. I gave the newborn clothes a quick run through the washer, but figured once I hit the 6 month size, they were fine for baby #2.

My 3rd pregnancy: I ran down to the baby bin in the basement, grabbed two newborn outfits and tucked them in my hospital bag. I figured the rest of the clothes were washed before putting them in the plastic bin so there was really no point in re-washing everything.

···

My 1st pregnancy: My best friends and family knew exactly what I needed. They threw me an elaborate shower, where they lavished me with a highchair, carseat, adorable baby clothes, playmats, and a stroller. 

My 2nd pregnancy: My best friends and family knew exactly what I needed. After the baby was born, they lavished me with a few new outfits and a huge supply of diapers. 

My 3rd pregnancy: My best friends and family knew exactly what I needed. They took my children for a whole morning towards the end of my pregnancy so I could get a pedicure and haircut...one last time. 

··· 

My 1st pregnancy: The carseat was installed two months in advance and double checked by a certified child safety seat technician.

My 2nd pregnancy: The carseat was washed and then placed into the vehicle one month before delivery. Not buckled, but ready in case we needed it.

My 3rd pregnancy: The carseat cover was only washed because it collected dust on a shelf in the basement for the last few years. It is still in the laundry room.

···

My 1st pregnancy: I followed the "Things to Avoid During Pregnancy" list to a T. I exercised regularly and attended a thorough two day birthing class.

My 2nd pregnancy: The only reason I snuck in some exercise is because I was teaching weekly yoga classes.

My 3rd pregnancy: Cookie dough, caesar salad and lunch meat? I never batted an eye. I even rode on roller coasters during the first trimester (whoops - didn't know I was pregnant yet). And does carting a three year old through the Costco parking lot count as exercise?

···

My 1st pregnancy: Maternity clothes were purchased months before I needed them and whipped out at the first sign of the tiniest baby bump.

My 2nd pregnancy: Maternity clothes were reluctantly pulled out of plastic bins when the baby bump appeared sooner than the first time around.

My 3rd pregnancy: Maternity clothes were avoided at all costs. Most of the clothes used for previous pregnancies (i.e. anything with a tie in back) were donated to charity. Long stretchy tunics and leggings replaced anything with a "maternity" tag inside.

···

My 1st pregnancy: We stressed for months to find the absolute perfect name. We poured over baby name books, made lists, slowly eliminated options, and finally came up with the one name we both agreed on.

My 2nd pregnancy: We knew the second we found out the gender what the name would be because we "saved it" from the first time around.

My 3rd pregnancy: We argued for months about the perfect name that would coordinate with the other two. We made no progress towards agreeing on a name. I'm still worried this baby is going to remain nameless.

···
My 1st pregnancy: The minute I saw first saw the tiny heartbeat on the ultrasound, my eyes involuntarily filled with tears as I absorbed the amazing blessing of this new little life.

My 2nd pregnancy: The minute I saw first saw the tiny heartbeat on the ultrasound, my eyes involuntarily filled with tears as I absorbed the amazing blessing of this new little life.

My 3rd pregnancy: The minute I saw first saw the tiny heartbeat on the ultrasound, my eyes involuntarily filled with tears as I absorbed the amazing blessing of this new little life.

···

Exactly one month till my due date. Yikes!


3 comments:

  1. I love this list! You are a great Mom and it shows, no matter how you approach things :)
    I am excited to see your adorable little man.

    (My heart breaks that you forgot the diapers - did you try talking to the store??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to this! I try to assure myself that I have no memories of being a fetus. Therefore, my little one will have no idea that I did not spend an equal amount of time agonizing over nursery decor, and shopping at Babies R Us. I know I will be just in love when that baby is placed in my arms, and that's what matters. I just don't have as much time to think about it right now, because I have two other kids to take care of! Loved the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cutest blog post ever! And it's true on all accounts. But you should run the baby clothes through a quick cycle. They tend to smell musty and stains that were not there before will magically reappear.

    Home stretch!! Good luck with the last month!!

    ReplyDelete