Pages

27 February 2012

500th

This is my 500th post.

I can hardly believe how much this hobby has evolved in the past four years.

I was skeptical about starting a blog at first. I didn't want to buy into another social media outlet that would waste my time.

But seeing that very first post hit the screen, just days before our first child was born, gave me an enormous rush of triumph.

I quickly discovered after launching our blog that it was an tremendous source of happiness for me. It was also a challenge and often drove me crazy with frustration as I learned to format. But the more I did, the more I wanted to do.

Blogging gave me a new identity, new skills, and a new set of friends. Those things filled me in a way that I never anticipated they would as I shared my tiny corner of the world.

A few months ago, I was asked to teach a class on setting up a blog. I was sure to mention the things that trouble me about blogs. How I sometimes view the "tip of the iceberg" that others portray on their blogs and compare my worst to their best. How I forget that most bloggers keep 90% of their icebergs under the water and hidden from view. And how technology is the latest means of comparing ourselves to others.

But, in preparation for the class, I also gathered my top ten reasons why this hobby has become such a passion of mine, and how the positive aspects make the time spent worthwhile.

1. Our blog keeps a record of family life for myself and our posterity. It makes me feel great to have a record of our lives under my belt. And because of that, I make it a priority.

2. I am able to stay in touch with family members and friends sprawled across the country.

3. I have always been an avid journal keeper so our blog is the perfect step-up from a journal.

4. It is a forum to share photography and creative ideas. I don't think I would have ever started to dabble in photography if it weren't for blogging. And now, even though I am far from professional, it is such a huge part of my life. I dream about lenses and editing techniques and thoroughly enjoy the nitty gritty details.

5. Our blog gives me an avenue to share thoughts that are swirling around in my mind. I don’t have the best memory and I’m always worried that I will forget the details of the moments that matter most. I feel like I must have a photo and writing about things to really grasp them before they slip quietly out of my brain never to be remembered. To me, the photos and written descriptions are like a safety-net, holding on to those things I cherish most in life. I can relax at the end of the day knowing that moments have been recorded and I no longer have to keep the details in the forefront of my memory.

6. Writing and sharing my ideas helps me be more deliberate about my mothering and other personal goals. Somehow spilling out how I feel makes me more conscientious of how I live my life. When I write something on our blog it motivates me to really follow through.

7. It is a way to gather ideas from others. Some of my challenges have literally been answered by friends and strangers from across the world. Just knowing that I’m not alone in certain struggles is so comforting and it really builds me up. I love all the inspiring things people write back and I have taken so many comments to heart.

8. I love to promote the joy and power of motherhood. One of the nicest compliments I ever received was that my blog "makes motherhood 'cool'," and I have carried that close to my heart ever since. Motherhood is the most important "career" in the world and I want to popularize how rewarding it is.

9. I am fortunate enough that my passions of blogging and web design have evolved into a part-time, work-from-home career. The design work challenges and thrills me. Getting to know new people each week and transforming their little corners of the world wide web into something beautiful encompasses everything I love; creativity, organization, mathematical trial and error, positive feedback, and an enormous sense of accomplishment.

10. Writing is a way of reminding myself to savor the moments of everyday life and to pay more attention to people rather than to things. For my own sanity, I feel happier when I am able to put all my thoughts down in the written form.

I can't wait to see where the next 500 posts and beyond will take me.


5 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on 500 posts--I don't think I've missed one (especially when they contain pictures of cute little boys). Thanks also for reminding us why we blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you love to blog. I do too. Although you have a much better way of putting it into words than i do! I also love how it has helped me stay connected to friends. I feel as though we are better friends today just because of our blogs! I get to see your cute family and be inspired by EVERYTHING you do. I'm glad that you blog-- and I hope that you keep it up for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have done a fabulous job with your blog. It always looks great, you update it all the time (I am so bad with that), you have great pictures and I feel like even though I haven't seen you in years I know what you are up to and I have been able to see your kids grow! Kudos on your dedication to it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog does make motherhood really cool. Did I leave that comment? If not, I've thought that before too.

    You're an awesome writer. I sometimes miss posts of yours when I'm traveling, but I always go back through and read what I've missed as soon as I come back and I love that, it's like reading short chapters in a really funny book about someone I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 500 posts, good job! Out of curiosity, I went and looked to see how many posts I've done... 1,060. And we started our blogs within a couple months of each other. Ha ha, that sounds about right, doesn't it? Reminds me of how many pictures we take (simplify, steph, simplify...)

    I love and agree with all the points you made. And teaching that class was really good for me too, cause it made me reflect on why I love blogging, which is good to do every now and again. Hooray for 500 more!

    ReplyDelete