Pages

26 October 2011

Fly on the Wall

Sometimes I wish I could be a fly on the wall and watch how Blake interacts with his friends at preschool. I wish I knew if he was respectful with his teachers and how hard he works at the "centers." I wish I could be in on those triumphant moments that make him come home on the top of the world.

For the first time in Blake's life, the activities that he participates in during those few hours at school are so foreign to me. He is maneuvering art projects and friendships and snacks while I am scrubbing and writing and errand-running in my own parallel universe. 

Even though he rattles off details in response to the questions I ask him about school, I still don't have a complete picture of what his days are like. 

That is why I am so grateful for opportunities to pop into his school and accompany him on field trips. I was lucky enough to visit the pumpkin patch with his class. I loved catching a glimpse of the way the preschool routine works and the things that make groups of three year olds laugh.

Each and every one of those bouncing little preschoolers was enamored by the school bus ride. They giggled every time the bus bounced or the wide doors opened. They pranced through the pumpkin patch in their matching school bus shirts and picked out cute misformed and discolored pumpkins.

It made me so excited and happy for Blake that he is forming friendships and the foundation of lifelong learning.




2 comments:

  1. You're a mom on a field trip? Man, that feels so grown up. I love that you could see his world there, I'd be so curious too.

    We missed you today, hope Nash is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I am always wishing I could be a fly on the wall. I would love seeing my kids in action.

    ReplyDelete