Pages

22 September 2011

City Lights

A year and a half ago I purchased a new camera.

I felt like I had sufficiently outgrown the one I had and I was ready to take the leap to the beautiful DSLR camera I had deliberated over and saved up for.

With my purchase came some high expectations.

I envisioned the images that the new camera would produce: they would be breathtaking, just like the ones I saw from my photographer friends.

When the new camera finally arrived, I immediately started shooting with confidence. In my mind, there was no effort involved in producing beautiful pictures. I was confident that the new technology would produce out of this world photography.

To my surprise, the first pictures I downloaded weren't anything fancy. The second batch wasn't so hot either...nor was the twentieth. 

For some reason the crisp clarity wasn't miraculously making it's debut. 

I gradually realized that I was going to have to really work with this camera.

Since I loved my new found hobby so much, I was willing to put in the hours it took to get on the right path. I learned how to work the bells and whistles and shoot exclusively in manual mode. I watched tutorials, I asked other photographers questions, and I read books to help build on the base I had. 

I'm still climbing the learning curve every time I take my camera out. I rarely get shots that I "love." I am the most critical of my own work, and I know I have a long way to go before I am consistently producing  images that I am proud of. There is always something new to reach for and it is overwhelming at times, but I don't mind because I am gradually growing into my expectations.

I am always up for new challenges in photography. My friend and I ventured downtown to experiment with some night time images. The shots I loved most are far from professional, but I was on cloud nine playing with city lights and movement (and non-wiggly children).







I could have photographed the gumball machines all night.





Favorite of the night.














Stop and go.


6 comments:

  1. Well, I have to first of all say that the pictures rock. You did a great job.

    But I also have to say, these posts stress me out a little, just like I was telling you in Chicago! The fact that you notice such detail in photos, makes me realize that I really don't. I appreciate a good photo when I see one, but rarely think about it with my own, unless it turns out really blurry. You must look at my blog and think my pictures are total crap! I hope to have a nice camera someday, but mostly just for a better overall quality and a fast picture. I'm not sure I'll ever have the time to invest into learning photography as you did. But I'm glad you have found a hobby that has had such a good payoff. I'm telling you, I think you are ready to start a business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have grown SO much with your photography Nashy #1! I am proud of you! And honestly, squirming children are one of the hardest things to ever take pictures of, even for people who have been doing this for ages. So don't be too hard on yourself.

    Some of these shots are amazing. I am loving how you used lines in a lot of them. Good eye!

    I have to admit that it is nice to hear someone acknowledge that it's the photographer, not the camera, who does the work. At weddings people always say things like, "Wow. Your camera takes such good pictures!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so great! It's really interesting to see how different some of yours turned out than mine, even though I was standing right next to you (like that top one with the lines and the sunset). You really are so great. Your fountain ones turned out WAY better than mine. I am also so impressed that you narrowed your pictures down to just this handful. My post might take up three blog pages (when I actually post it).

    Oh, I loved this night! I can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you take amazing pictures!!! i sometimes feel like i would cut off my right arm to have a nice camera. i take SO many pictures-- and i really wish they were better quality. yet i worry that after i get a great camera i will have no idea what to do with it :)

    but i really admire what you've done with photography-- i always look forward to seeing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete