Pages

28 January 2010

Gearing Up

We have finally been getting ready for the baby around here. I decided to put off anything baby-related until after Christmas. I figured that would leave me plenty of time to prepare for our new arrival, but other tasks have seemed to take precedence since the holidays. First it was unpacking, making room for presents, and taking down Christmas decorations. The next week was consumed with yoga class preparations. Then I got sick. All of a sudden I realized that it was almost February and I still hadn't done a thing! It is not like me to be so underprepared, especially when it comes to something as important as bringing home a new family member. So, with a huge sigh of relief, I have finally taken some time to gear up for our new arrival. I still have a few weeks until my due date, but I'm at the point where every day is possibility for delivery. I doubt that I'll have the baby early, considering that I went over my due date with Blake, but I wanted to be at least somewhat prepared in the off chance that we are surprised!

It has been really fun to pull out and wash Blake's baby clothes and equipment. It is really convenient to have a same gender baby born in the same season for clothing purposes. However, I started to feel bad that the baby is getting all of Blake's hand-me downs, so I bought him his own sleeper that he could wear home from the hospital. Not that the baby will care, but since he is going to be receiving things second-hand his whole life, I thought it would be nice to have one special outfit that was purchased just for him. I just can't believe how small the baby is going to be compared to Blake!


Blake helped me locate the baby equipment in the basement. In fact, he thought he hit the jackpot of new toys to play with.


How do you explain to a 2-year-old that the fun swing is for the baby?

We've really been trying to prepare Blake for our new arrival and for the transition that will take place in our home. I'm not sure how much he comprehends, but he loves to read the books we checked out from the library on becoming a big brother.

The books teach him how to be gentle with the baby and emphasize how special he is even though there will be a new sibling around getting lots of attention.


Blake also LOVES his doll baby.


The doll baby does everything that Blake does and goes everywhere he goes. He joins Blake at meal time, bath time, bed time, play time, reading time, and diapering time. Blake takes such good care of his baby, making sure he is properly fed, clothed, entertained, and well-rested. I'm hoping that he'll be this occupied with his doll baby when I am busy tending to the real baby.


Such a sweet (hopefully) big brother he will be!

As I approach the end of this pregnancy, here are some things I'm going to miss:
  • Nudges and kicks felt from the baby within
  • Giving my undivided attention to Blake
  • Parking in the expectant mother's spot at the store
  • Pulling the "I'm pregnant" card whenever I am forgetful, emotional, clumsy, or need a back massage
  • Sleeping 9-10 straight hours every night
  • The easiness and convenience of being a one-child family
  • The productive "me" time I receive every afternoon while Blake naps
  • My full head of hair before those postnatal hair-loss hormones kick in
  • The freedom that comes with not feeding every two hours around the clock (although I'm looking forward to that as well!)
Things I'm looking forward to:
  • Cuddling a sweet newborn
  • Seeing what this baby looks like
  • Watching Blake with his little brother
  • Getting to use the adorable baby clothes I stored away in boxes again
  • Heartburn-be-gone
  • Seeing the number on the scale go down instead of up
  • Packing away my maternity clothes (I despise maternity clothes)
  • Sleeping on my stomach again
  • Becoming a family of four!


4 comments:

  1. it's so cute to see blake being so sweet with that baby!! definitely a good sign of things to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I remember when we bought size 1 diapers before Garret was born I was sure they were to small. I could believe how small everything was!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I loved this! I have no doubt that Blake will be the sweetest big brother! The comparison between the two sleepers is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how Blake is so into that baby doll--too cute! He'll make a great big brother.

    ReplyDelete