Pages

08 January 2010

Activities

To avoid this:
...as well as to avoid the post-holiday blahs and the stir-craziness that result from staying at home all day with a two-year-old, Blake and I have been sharing some special time together each day. While sitting in the warm Arizona afternoon sunshine over the holidays, I put my old Early Childhood Education textbooks to use and came up with lesson plans for two months. Blake and I always spend time together playing, reading, doing puzzles, etc., but for me to actually implement all of the structured activity ideas I had for Blake, I needed to make a written plan. Most of the activities I planned are super simple, require only the materials we have at home, and some only last 5 minutes. However, I am appreciating the structure of having an activity planned every day whether small or large.

This week, we constructed a porcupine out of play dough using a straw for poke marks.


We made a necklace out of fruit loops.


Blake quickly ate the fruit loops.


We put together a trunk full of manly-man dress up clothes, including these sweet rubber boots.


We created a bed for George.


I won't keep posting our daily activities so as to spare you from the boredom of our everyday lives, unless we do something ultra-cool of course. I have to admit that I got a little giddy as I browsed through my old textbooks and attempted to create a well-balanced curriculum covering all areas of development. I feel like a better mom for having planned out time with my son and my structured toddler is enjoying the activities as well.


5 comments:

  1. Nashy, you are SUCH a good mom. I am going to hire you to teach me a Mom 101 class if I ever have kids.

    And Blake in those rubber boots is just asking for a photo shoot, TOO CUTE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! And feel free to post ideas, especially ones that a three year old would enjoy. Sometimes I run out of ideas for crafts and activities. Blake will really appreciate this time with you, especially once the baby is born!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know what you mean about getting giddy. I've been pulling out my school textbooks a lot lately too and it's been so fun to actually put my brain to use again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love for you to post daily ideas. I am CONSTANTLY struggling on ideas to entertain Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're such a fun mom! I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete