Pages

13 January 2010

Debut

Tonight marked my official yoga teaching debut. My fall class was cancelled because they didn't advertise it in time, but tonight, my class was packed with 14 preggos. I've never been to a prenatal yoga class with more than 4 students, so I could not believe the response! Troy took a picture of me with all my gear before I left as if it were the first day of school.


I have to admit that I was SO nervous to be in charge. This class has consumed almost every thought I've had for the last week. I've laid awake at night going through worst-case scenarios and considering every possible factor that I could mess up. I've felt sick to my stomach. I've stressed over the music selections, the perfect way to sequence the postures, the difficulty level, the memorization of the flow, and the way my students would perceive me. I've wondered what in the world motivated me to take this job in the first place. I've even had nightmares about my music not working and having to kick students out of class for talking too much. Troy has given me countless pep talks.

Well, I made it through. Was it perfect? No. But, was it a disaster? No. I have been trying to tell myself all day that I'm not going to be a master teacher at first, and that I offer only what I have to offer. I should be more worried about my students than if they like me, if I am doing everything right, if my poses are perfect, and if my words are fluid. I am overall very pleased with how the class went. The timing worked out, I remembered to do each pose on both the right and left sides, and though just barrelling through was my main objective, it seemed like everyone was following along. I know that everything has to have a beginning, and hopefully this will be the start of a journey that I will enjoy and be calm and confident about in the future. I am glad to be moving on with my life and putting this first class behind me. I should probably start preparing for our baby that is due in 5.5 weeks that I have done absolutely nothing for! I hope he doesn't come early because my yoga class lasts 6 weeks...awesome timing, right?


11 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO! I bet it felt great to have it over, and to see all your hard work coming together. I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome to conquer a fear and go for it! Every week will be easier now. You look so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how cool that you've totally mastered yoga. i think it's awesome that you stuck with it! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look so cute all ready to teach. If I was prego yet I would have signed up for you class for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in shock that you are due in 5.5 weeks and are so stinking small! I was a whale at that point! I'm sure all of your students loved you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could take your class!!! I would love it! I bet you did great too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only do you look GREAT, I'm sure the class was wonderful! It's quite different than teaching kindergarten, but you'll love this too. The mommas in the class are so lucky to have you for a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so awesome!!! And you do NOT look like you have only 5.5 weeks left--I guess that's a great benefit of doing prenatal yoga :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. like everyone else said.. NO WAY you are due in 5.5 weeks!!! you look so cute. if only i could look like that pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto to what everyone else said about how great you look. You and I are officially the same size, and I am 12 weeks behind you!

    I'm glad your class went well. And keep in mind-you are a perfectionist. Probably even the parts you didn't think went well, went completely unnoticed by everyone else!

    I too, wish I could come be one of your students!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great Linds! How fun for your students that you are pregnant along with them.

    And hello! You always tell me nothing when I ask what's new and then you change the subject to me. We just talked today and this is definitely new news! :)

    ReplyDelete