Pages

08 June 2009

The Concert and Soccer Real Game

The Tanners invited me to go to the dedication of Salt Lake's new Rio Tinto Stadium to watch the Soccer Real game. We've all been a little under the weather over the last few weeks, and Troy was in the prime of not feeling well, so he stayed home with Blake while I partied it up. It didn't take much convincing for me to go, because the one and only David Archuleta was performing at the game. So, I did my David 'do again of course, just like when I went to his concert. Am I the coolest teeny-bopper in the world or what?

The new stadium holds 20,000 people and was filled to capacity.

Archie sang the National Anthem after a super long dedicatory prayer.

Tricia and I spent most of the first half standing in front of this Super Fan section. It was crazy. These die-hards had drums beating, chanting, confetti, flags, and fog mists for the entire game. No one sat down, and no one stopped cheering, clapping, and dancing for the whole 90 minutes.

We learned some of their chants and songs, thanks to Tricia's super Spanish skills. She has been to soccer games in Europe and South America where the entire stadium has had this much extreme energy. I can't even imagine - it was nuts!

As the end of the game was nearing, a crowd started gathering near where we were sitting. Some of our cousins happened to be in the crowd, so we asked them what was going on. They all had special wristband passes to go onto the field for David's concert. I was so jealous! After they started filtering down the stairs into the holding area, I leaped over our seats and ran up to the security guard to ask if he had any more wristbands. He flipped open his suit jacket and pulled out two passes for Tricia and me. We ran down the stairs screaming. There was no time to think, we just ran! We called Troy from the blaring holding area to share our excitement, and I'm sure he was at home rolling his eyes in embarrassment.

We wore our magic Golden Archie Passes with pride.

We ran onto the field, maneuvering around the little kids, and we seriously got this close to him. Can you believe it? We were only feet away, and I'm sure our luck was because of my David 'do!

He sang four songs, and put on a great live concert as usual.

Our first picture together.

As if it could get any better from that point, it did! Tricia and I were at the edge of the roped off pathway that David walked through when he finished the concert. We stretched out our hands, hoping to make contact. David must have noticed my 'do because we clasped hands as he walked through! I'm not talking about a slap or a hit, but a full-on clasped two-second hold! He didn't even try to let go until his arm was behind him because he liked the clasp so much. Tricia also got some brief hand action from Archie. Can you believe our immense luck?

We will never wash our magic holding hands again.


1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I can't believe how close you got to him, not to mention the hand fondling! I'm glad you had such a good time! I take it Troy must have come down with what you had? That stinks.

    Big kudos to Troy for the anniversary date by the way. I'm way impressed!

    Only two more weeks til I see you...aaagghhhh!!!!

    ReplyDelete