Pages

28 December 2013

Pre-Christmas Festivities

We made it through Christmas! Hallelujah. There were a few moments this month when I really didn't know how I was going to pull it off. Especially when two days before Christmas I still didn't have a single present wrapped and I was running around dropping off neighbor gifts with a fever of 103°. I had no choice but to crash on and off in bed on Christmas Eve Eve and Christmas Eve with a shaking and aching body; a direct result of a month of stress, limited sleep and rushing around. Thankfully, we had family in town that stepped right in to help with the boys and meals and last minute wrapping.

Between the strep virus and stomach bugs that have been circulating through our family, birthday season, holiday programs, hosting each of our families for a week, and everything else that seems to jam pack the month of December, I did a huge sigh of relief when it was all over.

I was also relieved when eager grandparents took action to carry out the fun traditions that I just could not make time for.

Our first round of company was the boys' grandparents who live in Hawaii. They had the best time together. Blake and Nash cracked up at their grandpa's book reading voices.
DSC_0997

Six months is a long time to not see your family and they soaked up every minute.
DSC_0018

We spent an evening decorating the gingerbread house. (Pre-built I might add. Anything to simplify.)
DSC_0219

Blake was pretty proud of the finished product, especially the "T" they marked on the back.
DSC_0225

We paid a visit to the jolly old man.
Scan 133610000

The Hawaii grandparents came early enough to watch both of the boys' school performances as well. Nash's class performed as the cutest reindeer ever.
DSC_0950

DSC_0955

DSC_0984

Blake's combined Kindergarten classes gave a riveting performance of "I'm Gettin' Nuttin' for Christmas."
DSC_1007

Blake's two best buddies from school were born the same week as him, which added two more birthday parties to this crazy month.
DSC_1013

DSC_1024

Two hours after the first set of grandparents left, the next set came in from Arizona with renewed energy to make Christmas cookies with the boys. Once again, I was so glad it wasn't me spending hours baking and cleaning in the kitchen. I just got to sneak in and enjoy the atmosphere.
DSC_0206

DSC_0212

DSC_0216

DSC_0215

We all bundled up and took a trip downtown to see the Turboprop Peppermint Shop window display at Deseret Book. Blake watched the mechanics video of the machine being built over and over and couldn't wait to see it in person.
DSC_0379

The live version did not disappoint. The boys took turns catching the parachutes that were launched from the machine.
DSC_0362

DSC_0366

We took a brief walk to see the temple lights while we were there as well.
DSC_0361

Blake was soaked up in the spirit of it all, asking how long it took to build the temple (40 years) and admiring the statues scattered around Temple Square.
DSC_0398

Crew slept through the bitter cold and a certain three year old complained tirelessly about being cold and hungry. You can't please them all.

DSC_0382

DSC_0386

DSC_0391

And with that, we sufficiently covered all of our pre-Christmas traditions and it was time to celebrate the real deal, ready or not.


5 comments:

  1. Love Blake in front of that machine in the store window. You got a great Santa pic of them. Sorry you were sick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are BEAUTIFUL photos of Temple Square. You're such an amazing photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This is a random question, but where did you get your brown leather chairs? And I love your grey and white curtains! Where did you get those? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa - we got the chairs over five years ago from a random distributer who imported from Asia. I don't think the leather is the best quality - there are now tears in both of the arm rests so we are in the market for some new ones.

      I painted the gray stripes on white Ikea curtains. Making another set for my dining room is on my to-do list this week - I love how they turned out :)

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for responding. :) We ended up finding a Pottery Barn Manhattan leather club chair on Craigslist. Now we're looking for one more to match. If you're looking for new chairs, I'd recommend these chairs. The leather is very good quality, and you can usually find them for half the price or a quarter of the price on Craigslist, even for ones in excellent condition like the one we bought.

      And great job on your curtains! I would have never thought to paint stripes on curtains myself. :) I am in the market for new curtains. I'm looking for some oatmeal/flax colored curtains but then I saw your curtains and thought they looked great! We have an ivory colored sofa and espresso chairs so I think grey-white striped curtains would go nicely as well. We'll see! Anyway, thanks for your help! :)

      Delete