Pages

18 September 2010

Hospital Take Two

We became well acquainted with the children's hospital this week. A couple of days after Nash's surgery, Blake cracked the back of his head open. He was standing on a truck in the family room and fell, gouging his scalp on the corner fireplace tile. I don't know if I've ever seen so much blood. I was hoping to go to our pediatrician to get him fixed up, but when I called they advised me to go immediately to the hospital because he would probably have to be sedated for stitches.

So, we drove back to the ER and the doctor ended up putting staples in his scalp laceration. The injury was under his hair and not in a cosmetic area, so they didn't have to sedate him to do stitches. Troy met us at the hospital since his office is almost next door. It was the first time he saw either of our boys during the week because it was quarterly roll time again at work (meaning 6am-midnight work days). Therefore, Blake cracking his head open amounted to both a much needed visit with dad and avoiding his nap.


The doctor restrained his arms and wrapped him up like a burrito for the staples. Blake was really brave and actually cried way less during the procedure than he did during the initial injury. (Excuse the blurriness - I didn't know how appropriate it was for me to be taking pictures so I took them really quick on my little point and shoot that I keep in my purse.)


When I told Blake before we left home that we were going to the hospital, he got really excited. The last time he visited the hospital was when Nash was born and he pressed the buttons on my bed that made it rise and recline. He immediately stated "Buttons at Hostibal!" when I announced where we were going. He was disappointed when we arrived in the ER and he couldn't find any hospital beds. The doctor made it up to him by giving him a juice box after his procedure. He was completely satisfied with that offering in place of pushing bed buttons.


Blake also got to pick out a stuffed animal and wear an awesome neon green bandage for 24 hours. A mix of the 80's and ninja turtles; perfect.


4 comments:

  1. Your poor little boys! What a hard week for them and you. Hope they feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life has been absolutely CRAZY for you guys!!! I'm so amazed at how well Blake did during his trip to the hospital (Kylie loved the buttons on my hospital bed too). I hope both of the boys make a speedy recovery. We're definitely praying for you guys, especially for Nash. Kylie had a hole in her heart as well, but it was really small and eventually did close on its own. I remember how nervous I felt when the doctors kept talking about surgery for her, so I really feel for you.

    (Sorry I'm just now commenting on everything! Life has been crazy here as well and blogging doesn't happen as often as it used to). We miss you guys and hope things get back to normal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, poor little guy. I feel like you guys are such a great example of being positive through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow how scary! Blake is such a brave little guy. Hope life calms down a little for you.

    ReplyDelete