Pages

09 May 2010

Motherhood





I have been reflecting on motherhood lately and not just because it is Mother's Day but because motherhood is the most integral part of my current phase of life. I feel so blessed to have beautiful children entrusted in my care. I sometimes lose sleep over Motherhood and feel like I'm not doing enough. I often get caught up in my own agendas and checklists and then later realize that the time I could have spent lending a listening ear or enjoying small moments with my children has passed. Some days I know I fall short as a Mother, but my boys continue to show me unending forgiveness and love.

From time to time I ponder the sacrifices I make by choosing to be a Mother. Most 25-year-olds are pursuing their careers, obtaining graduate degrees, going to the gym and the mall in their spare time, and jumping in the car to go wherever they want to without having to juggle diaper bags, snacks, carseats, and strollers. They don't have a time limit before the next scheduled nap time.

I sacrifice date nights and running errands all day so my children can have consistency in their bedtimes. I sacrifice work-out classes so that we can have a meals together as a family. I sacrifice sleep so I can stay up and snuggle my baby. I sacrifice having a career and using my degree so I can be the one who feeds my children every meal, kisses every owie, reads every book, and teaches every lesson. I sacrifice my body and wellness so I can carry my babies for nine months and experience perpetual misery. I sacrifice the latest trends in clothes, hair, and make-up because the clothes will get spit-up on and a long morning routine will take time away from my children. I sacrifice vacations and traveling with my husband on business trips because I know that my children will be happier in the comfort of their own home. I sacrifice "me" time every day so I can keep our house clean and organized.

I understand that my role as a Mother means a lot of selfless acts and I know that every Mother is making the same sacrifices that I am. Most of the time though, the things I give up do not feel like sacrifices. I absolutely adore our children and genuinely want to give up whatever is necessary to be able to serve them. I have been given a very important job to do. That is the job of a Mother. I want to give up my weekends, sleep, and personal time because I am the one who...

...will tell you that you are a Child of God.

...will urge you to play, discover, and create.

...will comfort you when you are out of sorts.

...will teach you to pray, love, and serve.

I couldn't ask for anything greater than the gift of motherhood.


9 comments:

  1. Awesome post. I love it. The pictures are great! Is that your camera???

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!! I LOVE this post! Also can I just say that you are soooo lucky that you have someone that will take good pics of you and your kids. Zach rarely picks up our camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So darling. i am in love with the picture of your little dude kissing you and nash's face is so funny. Way to cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the greatest mom already at 25! Also, those are the cutest little boys ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures!

    Also, "I sacrifice my body and wellness so I can carry my babies for nine months and experience perpetual misery." Ummmm, not making me want to have kids anytime soon Nashy #1!

    PS. I saw Sarah and Tom and told them that you have a baby named Nash and they love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful post!!
    I can't wait to say the same thing in just a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post. So well put. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't have said it better myself. Awesome post, Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post. So perfectly written. happy mother's day!

    ReplyDelete