Pages

09 December 2008

One

Our baby is ONE! We began Blake's birthday by flying home from Arizona. Due to circumstances beyond our control, it was unfortunately the only time we could fly home. In addition, the flight was right during nap time which made for a rough start to Blake's birthday. I was really nervous that he would be a complete wreck during his party, but given the approaching holidays, it was the only time we celebrate his birthday with family and friends. So, I had everything ready except for the food before we left for Arizona and my sweet husband (who flew home a week before Blake and me) labored diligently to clean the house and buy the rest of the groceries.

Amazingly, we pulled it all off just in time for the guests to arrive. My one regret is that I spent so much time getting everything ready that I didn't get to spend much time with my delightful birthday boy. Blake started rubbing his eyes like crazy just before the party was about to start, but he cheered up and was a complete joy during his celebration. We kept things pretty small and low-key, but everything turned out exactly how I had pictured! I know that Blake won't remember his first birthday party, but it was big deal to me. After a stressful day and weeks of stress wondering how I was going to pull it all off in a few hours after flying home, I was absolutely delighted with the outcome. Friends and family were gathered together laughing and reminiscing about Blake's life, watching him discover presents and toys, and enjoying his first cupcake indulgence. It was everything I had imagined and more.

Happy First Birthday Blake!

I made some fun party hats.

I know parties are supposed to have themes, but our theme was simply,"1."

My sister-in-law Tricia and good friend Kristen came to celebrate.

Presents time! Thank you so much to everyone for the wonderful gifts. Blake now has lots of new toys and books to enjoy.


I'm not much of a cake decorator so I made a "cup"cake instead.

It was so much fun to see our child taste something sweet for the first time! He wasn't sure what to do with the cupcake that was plopped on his tray at first, but he quickly figured it out. He demolished every last crumb.


Blake in Action! I did cut the footage down from 13 minutes to 2.5 minutes, but this is more of a video for the grandmas anyway.


That's right, you're one!

Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes and for making Blake's day so special!


4 comments:

  1. That's cool! We did that with our kids too. He's a cute little guy and it's great to see you so happy! We love and miss you in the Ward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! I got a little sappy when I first saw him in his highchair, with his birthday hat on. How did this happen? It seems like he was just 6 weeks old, and I was in Utah visiting him for the first time! You did a great job pulling off the party. He looked very happy, and the decorations and cupcakes were adorable. Oh, and might I add, your AZ tan is looking great. I'm slightly jealous!

    p.s. Skyler is now singing Happy Birthday to Blake, and probably will for the rest of the night....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Number 1 Blake! I can't believe it has already been one year. . .time sure goes by fast. You did a great job on his birthday, I LOVE the cupcake 'cake'. I also love the new look of your blog, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last picture with the cupcake all over his face! Glad you had a great birthday party and I'm so happy we could see him the morning of his birthday before you went back. What a cute one-year old he is!

    ReplyDelete